8 Nights 9 Days
In Search of Snow Leopard (8N 9D)
Euphoric Trail presents you with the ultimate thrilling experience of tracking and spotting the ghost of the Himalayas – The Snow Leopard. Our dedicated team of wildlife experts and naturalists with the help of the local shepherds and with knowledge of the Snow Leopard Conservancy Organization India have dedicated this expedition to those who love and care for the wildlife and love to be challenged.
This roving, high-altitude cat is rarely sighted and because it is so elusive, accurate population numbers are hard to come by, although estimates range from 450 to 500 individuals in India. But Hemis National Park, with an area of 4400sq.km. has been the hotspot for Photographers, Researchers, and also for Travellers because of the highest density of Snow Leopard in the world. The National Park also houses about 30 mammal species and 300 bird species too.
The Government of India has identified the snow leopard as a flagship species for the high-altitude Himalayas.
It has developed a centrally-supported program called Project Snow Leopard for the conservation of the species and its habitats.
Listed in Schedule I of Wildlife (Protection) Act 1972, in Appendix I of CITES, and as Endangered on the IUCN Red List.
This expedition is a completely customized version for hardcore adventurers, wildlife photographers, and nature worshippers …
Euphoric Trail takes you to a thrilling journey to the Rumbak Valley in Hemis National Park and to Ulley village which is situated in the core area of the park. The popularity of Rumbak valley for snow leopard sighting attracts a considerable of tourists, but Ulley village is recently added to the list. As in recent years, The Mighty Himalayan Ghosts had been spotted near the village area on several occasions. So we will travel and trek both areas to maximize the chance of a sighting. Our team of experienced Wildlife Guides, Snow Leopard trackers, and Conservationists have made this perfect itinerary to maximize the chance of spotting the Ghost of Himalaya. This expedition is meant for the toughest soul, who loves to get challenged. Trekking in -20 in above 4000 m of altitude under heavy snowfall, with a low level of oxygen, takes more than just sheer courage. Snow Leopard Trek is perhaps the ultimate adventure on the planet that anyone can dream of… Many travel & tour companies organize this trek even without proper knowledge about the area or the mighty creature. As most of treks are organized in summer for tourists, but in the summer all high-altitude animals migrate to much higher areas above 4000-4500m. It is only in the winter they descend to lower elevation and brings us the opportunity to sight them. Yes, it is tough for us too, as we try our best to keep our tourists warm even on most chilly nights with proper measures, gears, and equipments.
Please keep in mind Euphoric Trail does not guarantee a 100% sighting, A national park with 4400sq.km area and that too on one of the highest and most rugged terrains on the planet is neither like a safari in a lowland plain nor a zoo. But yes, small groups , professional wildlife expert team, knowledge of snow leopard habitation, association with Snow Leopard Conservation Organization & with Local Sheperd communities maximize the chances . . But the snow leopard does not occupy this environment alone, it sits at the apex of a rich and diverse pyramid and in searching for this master predator you will be exploring its environment and all that live in it in some detail.
- Professional & experienced Snow Leopard Tracker & Wildlife experts
- Association with High altitude wildlife Conservation organization & with local shepherd communities
- We organize winter treks, to maximize the chance of spotting Snow Leopard
- Euphoric Trail is one rare organization in India that would provide winter camping & trekking with all safety gears and equipments
- We provide a heater, -20 sleeping bags
- this trip is not for profit, we specially kept the price cheap so that more people can opt for this trek and we can make people aware of these mighty creatures.
- we always donate to various NGOs and Snow Leopard Conservation Organization
- Detailed Itinerary
- Booking Policy
- Cancellation Policy
- Backpack Checklist
- Fauna- snow leopard, ibex, blue sheep, Himalayan marmot, kiang/wild ass, Tibetan hare, wild dogs, wolf
- Avifauna - golden eagle, bearded vultures, hobbies, kestrels Tibetan and Himalayan snow cocks, chukor partridge
- Hemis National Park
- Ladakhi culture
- DAY 01 - Arrival in Leh - Transfer to Hotel - Acclimatization
- DAY 02 - IN LEH - Acclimatization, visit Leh town.
- DAY 03 - LEH - ZINGCHAN – BY SURFACE – APPROX 1 HRS - RUMBAK (12,540 FT) – TREK / APPROX 5 HRS
- DAY 04 - IN RUMBAK VALLEY - trek & explore the area for the Snow Leopard with a professional wildlife team
- DAY 05 - IN RUMBAK VALLEY - trek & explore the area for the Snow Leopard with a professional wildlife team
- DAY 06 - IN RUMBAK VALLEY - trek & explore the area for the Snow Leopard with a professional wildlife team
- DAY 07 - RUMBAK – ULLEY VILLAGE – BY SURFACE / APPROX 3 - 4 HRS
- DAY 08 - ULLEY VILLAGE – LEH - BY SURFACE / APPROX 3 HRS
- DAY 09 - DEPART LEH - BY FLIGHT
Things You Should Know
- Region - Rumbak Valley & Ulley village in Ladakh
- temperature - min -20 , max 25
- max altitude - 4100m.
- Difficulty level - moderate to strenuous
- best time - November - March
DAY 01: Arrival in Leh - Transfer to Hotel - Acclimatization
After an early breakfast, you are transferred to the domestic airport for your flight to Ladakh. This must be one of the most sensational flights in the world. On a clear day from the left of the aircraft, one can see in the distance the peaks of K2, Nanga Parbat, and Gasherbrum and so close that you feel you could reach out and touch it, is the Nun Kun massif. From the other side of the aircraft, you can see the high-altitude lakes of Tso Moriri and Tso Kar.
Upon arrival, you will be met by our representative & transferred to the hotel. You would take a little time to settle in and acclimatize since you have gone from a relatively low elevation in New Delhi to over 11,000 feet!
Overnight stay at your hotel.
DAY 02: IN LEH - Acclimatization, visit Leh town
The morning is at leisure to acclimatize to the rarefied air. You may choose to stroll along the main bazaar - observing the varied crowds. Looking into curio shops is an engaging experience. A particularly attractive sight is the line of women from nearby villages sitting along the edge of the footpath with baskets of fresh vegetables brought for sale. Behind the main bazaar, Chang Gali is less bustling but has interesting little shops selling curios and jewellery. Further on are the labyrinthine alleyways and piled-up houses of the old town, clustering around the foot of Palace Hill. In the other direction, down the bazaar, are the Tibetan markets where one can bargain for pearls, turquoise, coral, lapis lazuli, and many other kinds of semi-precious stones and jewelry, as well as carved yak-horn boxes, quaint brass locks, china or metal bowls, or any of a whole array of curios.
Also walk to the Leh Palace and Sankar Gompa, which belongs to the Gelukspa school of Tibetan Buddhism. This small Gompa is a branch of Spituk Gompa, founded by the first incarnation of Skyabje Bakula (head monk of Spituk monastery).
Return to your hotel for dinner and an overnight stay.
DAY 03: LEH - ZINGCHAN – BY SURFACE – APPROX 1 HRS - RUMBAK (12,540 FT) – TREK / APPROX 5 HRS
Today you trek into the interiors of Snow Leopard country to Rumbak in eager anticipation of the days to come and thoughts on the success in the purpose of your visit – your quest to spot the Snow Leopard.
Overnight stay in a tented camp.
DAY 04: 06 IN RUMBAK VALLEY - trek & explore the area for the Snow Leopard with a professional wildlife team.
You spend the next 6 days in exploring the area on foot with your guide to try and spot the Snow Leopard. In the process, there will also be plenty of opportunities for you to get enthralling insights into local folklore, as well as learn about their customs and traditions.
The very name evokes all that is most wild, mysterious, and elusive in nature - for this is an animal that comes cloaked not just in the subtle beauty of its own coat but also in all the high drama of the harsh and magnificent environment that it dominates.
The chances of actually seeing a snow leopard, especially in a relatively short period, are slim indeed. The reclusive nature of the animal, the inhuman scale and vertical topography of the habitat, and the relative sparseness of snow leopards on the ground all combine to frustrate the seeker. But the snow leopard does not occupy this environment alone, it sits at the apex of a rich and diverse pyramid, and in searching for this master predator you will be exploring its environment and all that live in it in some detail.
The diverse and rare assemblage of fauna includes the blue sheep or bharal, the staple of the snow leopard diet, ibex, kiang or wild ass, long-tailed and Himalayan marmots, Tibetan hare, the pika or mouse hare, wolf, wild dog and fox. The skies are patrolled by a golden eagle, bearded vultures, hobbies, and kestrels while on sunny hill slopes plump Tibetan and Himalayan snow cocks, and chukor partridge feed warily.
Overnight stay in a tented camp.
DAY 07: RUMBAK – ULLEY VILLAGE – BY SURFACE / APPROX 3 - 4 HRS
Today you drive to Ulley Village reached Ulley in the afternoon and proceed for Snow Leopard Spotting. Overnight in Homestay
DAY 08: ULLEY VILLAGE – LEH - BY SURFACE / APPROX 3 HRS
The morning continues spent in Ulley Village and explores the area for the presence of the big cat. Later drive back to Leh.
DAY 09: DEPART LEH - BY FLIGHT
You will be transferred in time to the airport for your flight to Delhi. On arrival in Delhi, you will be met by our representative and transferred to the hotel. The rest of the day is at leisure.
Overnight stay at your hotel.
03 nights in LEH -Hotel Tsokar/ Similar
04 Nights in Tents
01 night at Homestay in Ulley village
BUDGET TOUR COST: INR 45,500.00 per pax
03 nights in LEH - Mahey retreat/similar
04 Nights in Tents
01 Night in Homestay in ULLEY village
STANDARD TOUR COST: INR 56,500.00 per pax
- Accommodation in all the hotels as per the list on Dbl/twin sharing basis
- Bed tea, breakfast & dinner
- All hotel transfers, city tours (as per plan), and excursions by Innova/xylo. Six and above by suing Tempo traveller
- Interstate road tax, toll tax, fuel, driver’s allowance, parking etc.
- Assistance on arrival / departure
- Local expert snow leopard guide & snow leoard tracker
- Stay in home stay with all meals
- Trekking & wildlife fee
- Good quality high altitude tents, -20 sleeping bags, mattress, Kitchen gears
- Horse/mule to carry luggage on the first and last day
- Travel Insurance
- Airfare and airport tax
- Mineral water Soft drinks and any alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, laundry, telephone calls, portage, tips, and any personal expenses
- Entrance fee to any monuments or camera fee
- Tips, gratuities
- Any item not specified under cost includes.
- If there is any unprecedented hike in the cost of transport (including fuel surcharge) or accommodation it will also affect the cost.
- We shall not be responsible for any change in the itinerary due to landslides, flight cancellations, weather conditions or any unforeseen circumstances. The additional cost incurred will be in addition to the cost quoted.
1. 50% advance to be deposited for booking confirmation.
2. 50% balance payment should be settled upon arrival at Leh.
Terms & Conditions:
- All the above-mentioned rates are per person rates on a double/twin sharing basis
- For Cancellation please refer to our Terms and Conditions available at our booking office.
- Rooms holding shall be for a period of 72 hours only.
- The above rates are applicable strictly for resident Indian citizens only
- Any amendment and cancellation in the booking before 15 days Rs 500 Per Person are chargeable as communication charges
- 45 days or more prior to the departure of the tour - 25%
- 30 days or more prior to the departure of the tour - 50%
- 15 days or more prior to the departure of the tour - 100%
- No Show - 100%
- In case there are any other Cancellations that are levied by either of the suppliers; Airlines or Hotels the same would subsequently be charged from you.
- Good trekking Boots ( ankle length )
- Trekking trousers
- warm inners
- Good quality Jackets & other clothing
- Woolen socks
- Good sunglass
- Binoculars (optional )
- Camera ( optional )
- Lots of energy and positive vibe
by Following & Subscribing Us On
Other Ladakh Packages
I went to many excursions in Goa with Euphoric Trail with their Goa Team not once but many times. In 2017 i traveled to Andaman and Golden Triangle with Euphoric Trail. Thanks a lot guys for your warm hospitality and taking care of our every needs. Best Of Luck. Anyone coming to India I recommend Euphoric Trail.
Me and 3 of my friends have been thinking of doing the Sandakphu Trek for many years. So, at last we did it in 2019, and Suhit himself actually lead the group so it was amazing, his knowledge of wildlife and the Birds made the trip extra special, as we got a lot of nice shots. Thanks a lot, and best of luck. Carry on doing what you are doing.
Though I live in a sea Resort Goa, last year I visited Andaman Island, and i am happy that I chose Euphoric Trail for the Package Tour. I know Suhit for more than 10 years and he is true professional, he loves India and every bit of it. The whole journey was smooth and service was a class.